Canadian Hatchery Federation Sector
Jeff McDowell - Hybrid Turkeys / Hendrix Genetics
Orville Friesen - Granny's Poultry Co-op Ltd. - Winnipeg, MB
Canadian Hatchery Federation sector of the Canadian
Poultry and Egg Processors Council represents the
interests of 47 broiler, egg-type and turkey hatcheries
in 9 provinces.
Operationally, hatchery sector members are represented by one of eight regional Directors at the sector level, and two of those Directors represent the sector on the CPEPC Board.
The latest industry figures indicate that 600,000,000 chicks and poults will be placed nationally this year. CPEPC members will place 564,000,000 or 94.0% of those. This activity directly employs 2,500 Canadian workers, and represents an investment in plant and equipment of approximately $250 million. The value of these chicks when sold to producers will be in excess of $310 million.
In meeting the needs of Canadian broiler growers, egg laying operations, and ultimately processors and consumers, hatchery members source hatching eggs for incubation both domestically and internationally. Under the current NAFTA and GATT/WTO Agreements, 21.1% of the total Canadian broiler hatching egg requirement is sourced from outside Canada and enters the country duty free. The remaining 78.9% of our requirement is purchased from Canadian broiler hatching egg producers.
Most egg-type and turkey hatcheries are somewhat different as they own their breeder flocks. No border controls exist for these commodities and our members have been increasing export sales in recent years.
In an ongoing effort to reduce antibiotic use and resistance, hatcheries will discontinue the preventative use of category 2 antibiotics, which have high importance for human health, by January 2019. Preventative use of category 1 antibiotics (very high importance for human health) was discontinued in 2014.
Canadian hatcheries follow strict, independently audited, evidence-based animal welfare standards that are regularly updated and are amongst the best in the world.
The Canadian Hatchery Federation (CHF) animal welfare program was last updated in December 2020 and as of July 1, 2021 all CHF members must conduct annual audits under this program.
The program was developed based on the National Farm Animal Council’s Code of Practice for the Care and Handling of Hatching Eggs, Breeders, Chickens, and Turkeys.
You can find a copy of our animal welfare program here.