Poultry Operations Technical Committee
Technical/Regulatory Director - Erica Charlton
The Poultry Operations Technical Committee (POTC) of
CPEPC works with government on legislation and
regulation affecting poultry plant operations. All
poultry primary and further processing members of CPEPC
are entitled to participate on the POTC committee, which
meets 3 times yearly.
Meetings are held:
- in February, in conjunction with the sector meetings;
- in June, in conjunction with the convention, and
- in October, in conjunction with the sector meetings
Associate members who are vendors of poultry plant equipment and services can also attend POTC meetings (no-charge registration required).
All meat processing establishments and hatcheries, as well as farm sources of live supply and eggs, comply with the following:
- National Farm Animal Care Council Codes of Practice for the Care and Handling of Farm Animals.
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency
Meat Inspection Regulations,
Sections 61 and 80, which define:
- Guidelines and procedures for the proper unloading, holding and movement of animals in slaughter facilities
- Requirements for the segregation and handling of sick or injured animals
- Requirements for the humane slaughter of food animals
- Canadian Food Inspection Agencey Meat Hygiene Manual of Procedures, Chapters 14 and 18 , which prescribe corrective action for non non-compliance
See CFIA's information for consumers: Humane handling and slaughter of food animals in Canada